It's all about the apple at the Driskill Hotel this October. Our culinary team is pleased to announce the rollout of this month's Destination Dish: A Fall Spiced Texas Gala Apple Salad, available throughout the month of October in The Driskill Grill. In addition to picture perfect plating aesthetics, this dish captures the essence of fall with its rich flavors dressed in warm, seasonal spices. Read on for the full recipe:
Fall Spiced Texas Gala Apple Salad
2 c. Apple Cider
1 tsp. Whole Cloves
1 tsp. Fresh Ground Nutmeg
1 ea. Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp. Black Peppercorns
1 tsp. Juniper Berries
4 ea. Gala Apples (Peeled & Diced)
4 oz. Dried Cranberries
4 oz. Micro Celery
4 oz . Toasted Pine Nuts
2 c. Port Wine
4 oz. Dried Cherries
4 oz. Crème Faîche
1) Combine port and dried cherries. Bring to a boil & let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and purée. Return to heat and reduce until a syrup consistency (about 1 hour) is reached. Strain the reduction.
2) While the reduction is simmering, combine cider, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, peppercorns & juniper berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3) Strain spiced cider and let cool.
4) Combine apples and spiced cider. Let the apples marinate for 30 minutes. Remove apples from liquid.
5) Combine crème fraîche and 1 tsp. of port cherry reduction.
6) To Assemble, smear a line of port cherry reduction across plate. Place marinated apples & micro celery over the reduction. Add pine nuts, dried cherries & crème fraîche for garnish.